Thursday, July 30, 2009

This better be damn good, Part Three.

Welcome back. I now present you with part three of, "This better be damn good." Being the final part in my three-part series, I thought I'd leave you with a rather opinion-filled diatribe. Let me know if that's the right word for what you're going to read.


-Thirdly, I've realized both the futility and lucrativeness of being homeless. The Coalition For the Homeless in New York City estimates the number of homeless people living in New York to be more than 109,000. And, according to the Coalition, more than 36,600 homeless men, women, and children were sleeping each night in New York City municipal shelters, including 15,800 children, 14,100 adult family members, and 6,700 single adults. Thousands more sleep rough on city streets, in public parks, in the subway system, and in other public spaces. Now, if you'd talk to me personally about my views on homelessness, you'd find that I feel very strongly about the issue. I won't say here if I support the homeless or not, but after talking to me you'll quickly find out how I feel. Everyday on my journey to work, I must pass at least 10 homeless people; all begging, pleading even, for some sort of monetary donation. There's no doubt that any amount of money would help them eat for that day, but let's face reality here: No one is going to give you enough money to get off the streets and no one but you can get yourself a job. No matter how hard you beg and panhandle for pocket change, you're going to remain on the streets and in shelters until you get yourself a job. That's the futility of homelessness.

Now, you're probably thinking to yourself, "Didn't he mention something about the lucrativeness of homelessness?" Well, my faithful followers, let me give you a little anecdote. While waiting in line for Grimaldi's Pizza, the number one rated pizza in all of New York (and yes, free pizza will be accepted), I witnessed a young boy and girl sitting on the sidewalk with a baseball cap turned upside down, collecting money. At first glance, one would see a desperate young brother and sister, only 10 and 15 or so, homeless, without a family or anyone to support them and in dire need to someone's generous assistance. I myself was even feeling bad for the two. So my daring friend, Nicole, decided to sit down next to the little boy and girl and just chat with them about life. We could see that the conversation started to get rather interesting, because who starts laughing when talking to homeless kids? After about five or so minutes, Nicole came back to the group and reported her findings. To everyone's surprise, the kids weren't homeless at all! The boy and girl were visiting New York with their family, and even waiting in the same line to Grimaldi's. To pass the time (and to entertain their family, I suppose) the two decided to sit on the sidewalk, look desperate, and collect people's money. They were willfully taking advantage of people's kindheartedness, just to entertain themselves. So that made me wonder: how many people, out of the 100,000 or so, are actually homeless and how many are just faking it to get some easy cash and pass the summer days? Sure, you may only get a few dollars, and even the company of a compassionate passerby. But there's still something to say for faking being homeless. And that's the lucrativeness of homelessness.


Well, I hope you've enjoyed my three part look at some of the things I've learned while living in New York. I can assure you, the lessons I've learned are way more valuable than any school education, but number too many to list here.

So for Dan Rather, Dan Rather Reports, HDNet, and all the little faking homeless kids out there,

I'm Daniel Crump. Gig'em.

4 comments:

Nicoleodeon said...

Aaww! I'm daring??

Michael J. Miller said...

That is perhaps one of the most inspired things you have ever written

Anonymous said...

Hey it's Lauren Harper.. just wanted to throw out there that homeless people probably make more money than you & I do. There are actual studies & reports that say their income per day can range anywhere from $5-$300. Next time you think about giving them money, remember that.. buy them food instead. If they are hungry they'll appreciate it more. Otherwise they'll take the money & spend it on alcohol & drugs.. I'm gonna bet that the majority of the ones you see asking for money are the ones who abuse the help they receive, because like you said, only they can choose to get a job, but who can get a job if you can't stay sober and pass a drug test??
Anyway I enjoy reading your blog. :) So keep it up, you're doing big things!

C said...

The "homeless" on the drag in Austin actually aren't homeless at all they just go for easy money, but they have a place to sleep.